Indiana historic buildings logo

Site Maintainer:


Images of Historic Indiana

Endangered Buildings of NW Indiana

10 Ways You can Help


Our Bookstore

Purchasing items through this link helps pay our hosting fees

Historic Landmarks of

Fort Wayne, Indiana

FORT WAYNE, Ind. Indiana's second largest city. Only Indianapolis, about 130 miles southwest, has more people. Fort Wayne, the seat of Allen Co., covers about 58 square miles and lies at the Junction of the St. Joseph, St. Mary's and Maumee rivers.

Though situated, like most Indiana towns, in a farming region, Fort Wayne is a center for motor-vehicle assembly and other manufactured goods. In fact, the Fort Wayne area has about 450 manufacturing plants. Chief products include machinery, electronic parts and equipment, trucks, and transportation equipment. Major airlines and freight and passenger trains serve the city. Electronic and electrical goods, automotive products, and diamond tools are major manufactures. The city is also an important distributing center of wholesale goods.

Fort Wayne is the seat of Concordia Theological Seminary (1846), Saint Francis College (1890), Fort Wayne Bible College (1904), Indiana Institute of Technology (1930), Indiana University-Purdue University at Fort Wayne (1964), and several junior colleges.

The city's strategic river-junction location was the site of the chief village of the Miami Indians and, from the late 17th century, of a French fort. Modern Fort Wayne grew from a fort (now reconstructed) that was established in 1794 by Major General "Mad Anthony" Wayne, (for whom the city was named), who defeated the Miami Indians, thus opening the area to settlement. Industry grew after the construction of the Wabash-Erie Canal in 1840 and the arrival of the railroad in 1854. Fort Wayne was incorporated as a city in 1840. Pop. (1990) 173,072.

A campus of Indiana University-Purdue University is located in Fort Wayne. Other institutions of higher education include the Indiana Institute of Technology, St. Francis College, and a campus of Taylor University. Fort Wayne's biggest tourist attraction, the Three Rivers Festival, is held in July. The festival includes parades, historical displays, and other events.

A number of construction projects were completed in downtown Fort Wayne in the early 1980's. They included an art museum, a botanical garden, a convention center, and an office complex.

Historic Fort Wayne is a reconstruction of an American army fort of 1816 in Fort Wayne. Visitors can watch uniformed personnel carry out military activities of the time inside the fort.

Several parks are located along the Maumee. The grave of Johnny Appleseed (John Chapman) is here. Museums include the Lincoln Library and Museum of the Lincoln National Life Foundation, the Allen County-Fort Wayne Historical Museum, the Museum of Art, and the Diehm Museum of Natural History.

The ornate Embassy Theatre, a former movie palace, now hosts theatrical productions.

All pictures were taken May 24, 1998.

Historic Landmarks of Fort Wayne, Indiana

620 S. Calhoun

Note the unusual bay window.

An added bonus: apparently, the street level of this building is unaltered!

Historic Landmarks of Fort Wayne, Indiana - Elektron Building

Elekron Building, 1895

215 E. Berry

Historic Landmarks of Fort Wayne, Indiana - Freistoffer


100 Block, W. Main

This charming building seems strangely out of place among the colder-looking modern structures surrounding it.


Randall Building, 1905

616-18 S. Harrison

Embassy Theatre & Indiana Hotel

Embassy Theatre & Indiana Hotel


121 W. Jefferson

Fort Wayne, Indiana Building

Louis Mohr Block



Fort Wayne, Indiana Building

Mid-sized hotel or office building

Between 116-122 Columbia

Fort Wayne, Indiana - Lincoln Tower doors

Lincoln Tower doors

According to a visitor to this site:

"This fine building was completed in1930, at the time the tallest building in Indiana.
The art deco exterior is granite and limestone, topped in terra cotta. Gilded gold design.
312 feet tall, or 22 stories with observatory."

Fort Wayne, Indiana - Engine House #3

Engine House #3

226 W. Washington Blvd.

Now the "Old Fire House Cafe"

Landmarks of Fort Wayne, Indiana - 108 & 116 Columbia

Between 108 & 116 Columbia

Old-fashioned streetlamps add to the atmosphere of this street.

All of the storefronts seen here seem to be unaltered and authentically maintained.

These photos are courtesy of the photographer, Mike Habeck ( Mike is with EcoIndiana and, in addition to being concerned about historic architecture, is also looking out for the state's natural environment. Our thanks to Mike for sharing these photos with us.

[ Home | Images of Indiana Architecture | Endangered | Editorials | Site Store ]
[10 Simple ways you can help promote Historic Preservation! ]

Purchasing items through this link helps pay our hosting fees