items through this link helps pay our hosting fees
Historic Structures of
Evansville (pop 126,272) is the
seat of Vanderburgh Co. in southwest Indiana. Incorporated in 1847, it
is an important transportation hub and a regional cultural and
Settled in 1812, the community grew as a river
port, especially after the completion in 1853 of the Wabash and Erie
Canal linking the Ohio River at Evansville with Lake Erie. It is named
for Robert M. Evans (1783-1842), who mapped the area.
The city is the seat of the University of
Evansville (1854), the University of Southern Indiana (1965), and the
Evansville Museum of Arts and Science.
Central Library, 1931
22 S.E. 5th St.
This building shows elements of the Art Deco
style. Art Deco was a style of design popular in the 1920s and '30s
with its sleek, streamlined forms and elegantly geometric aesthetic.
Art Deco grew out of a conscious effort to simplify the elaborate
turn-of-the-century Art Nouveau style, to make it more responsive to
the new machine-age ideals of speed and glamour.
Says Funk and Wagnall's New Encyclopedia: "It
found expression in objects as diverse as locomotives, skyscrapers,
roadside diners, radio cabinets, jukeboxes, and advertising displays.
"Primary examples of Art Deco in the U.S. are the
interior of Radio City Music Hall (1931) in New York City, designed by
Donald Deskey (1894-1989); and William van Alen's (1882-1954) Chrysler
Building (1930, New York City), with its sleek aluminum- banded facades
and arched and pointed spire."
Zion Evangelical Church, 1855
415 N.W. 5th St.
This church is a fine example of the Gothic
Revival style of architecture, characterized by pointed arches and
ribbed vaulting. This broad style of architecture stemmed from a
movement of the 18th and 19th centuries aimed at reviving the spirit
and forms of Gothic architecture.
YWCA Building, 1924
One-Part Vertical Block
YMCA Building, 1913
203 N.W. 5th St.
Three-Part Vertical Block. This was the
dominant style of tall buildings of the period. The facade is divided
into three main "zones" that, though separated, are nevertheless
closely related to one another.
Soldiers & Sailers
Memorial Coliseum, 1917
350 Court St.
The Classic Revival style is distinguished by the
presence of one or more (but not necessarily all) of the following
The Classic Revival style can be
distinguished by the Federal or Jeffersonian styles by the absense of
any fan or arch-shaped windows, since the ancient Greeks did not use
This building is made truly unusual and
striking by the brick "wings" on either side of the poured concrete
front, the curved corners of which give the building an Art Deco flair.
- Greek inspired columns and pilasters
(decorative features which imitate columns but are not load-bearing)
- Bold and unadorned exterior moldings
- Heavy cornices (overhanging projections at the
top of a roof)
- Horizontal transoms (bars or openings) above
Evansville Post Office, 1869
100 block of NW 2nd St.
This architectural style is marked by round
arches over window and door openings, extensive use of stone masonry
and, in some cases, towers. Richardsonian Romanesque was a popular
style of architecture for institutions of stability such as churches,
universities and public buildings such as train stations and
Old Vanderburgh Co. Courthouse
400 Vine St.
Beaux Arts is truly design on a monumental
scale, and incorporates elements from a variety of architectural
styles.It is the style of rich decorative detail taught in the 1800s at
the Ecole des Beaux Arts, the world-famous school of fine arts in
Paris, which is especially noted for its department of architecture.
These terrific photos
are courtesy of the photographer, Mike Habeck (firstname.lastname@example.org).
Mike is with EcoIndiana
and, in addition to being concerned about historic architecture, is
also looking out for the state's natural environment. Our thanks to
Mike for sharing these photos with us, as well as for donating the
server space to store them!
| Images of Indiana
Architecture | Endangered
| Site Store
[10 Simple ways you
can help promote Historic Preservation! ]